Monday 22 October 2012

Down and Orange Goblin @ The Roundhouse

I quite like Orange Goblin's A Eulogy for the Damned, and I liked their set last night. It was the last night of their supporting Down, and they clearly wanted to have some fun and go out with a bang. They succeeded admirably, delivering the kind of crowd-pleasing heavy anthems that would have you walking away happy if they topped the bill of many a night...

Just not last night. Last night everyone was there for one reason: Down.

I saw Down at Brixton Academy when they toured Over the Under, when I was living in north London. Now that I'm living in Brixton, they decide to play the Roundhouse on a night when the Victoria line isn't running. Come on guys, meet me halfway...

But there are some bands you will happily travel far for, and Down is definitely one of them. What can you say about this band? If they can get to the venue on time, with their instruments, and with power in the sockets, they will deliver the best southern stoner metal to be had anywhere on the planet. I don't think I've ever seen such a level of crowd appreciation as I saw last night. True Anselmo is a force of nature, and if he asks you to raise your hands you damn well raise your hands, but I didn't get the sense anyone had to force it even 1%.We were a bunch of happy worshippers.

Down have an unimpeachable back catalogue to select from, and are a collection of performers to match. Those two things combined couldn't possibly fail. They are simply phenomenal.

Gimme some medicine!

No comments:

Post a Comment